WIP: Fortress

More or less everything you want to know about mapping for WildWest.

Moderators: Ringo, wwbiteme, zivs

zivs
Super Moderator

WIP: Fortress

Post by zivs » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:45 pm

It's been a while since last mapping topics/new projects, but better late than never, eh? 8)

About
I've played around with idea of creating KotH (King of the Hill) map for a long time, but just recently (year ago?) Ringo managed to export that game mode script to work on Wild West, so my boner on putting it to good use just grew stronger.

Now I know that Ringo is also working on some other map project (for which I try to create some house models and stuff), but I'm gonna steal his attention for a bit, if I can.

Map
So, yeah, so far there's nothing much to show - a basic map layout with two almost identical sides. The main flag will be on first floor. Roof gonna be climbable from outside (the hard and slow way) and inside (the easy ladder way). Outside is being done in a way that snipers can't effectively operate from far away - the fence system won't allow them to peek (at least not very much) inside the main barracks. Size of the map is, well, like 2-3 bigger than Saloon is, which means that it shouldn't turn into insta-slaughterhouse.

Image Image Image

KotH game mode
There is one checkpoint style objective. To win, a team must hold the objective for a certain total amount of time (5 minutes should be enough, as it would take up to 10 minutes in total to win, if teams are equal). The team need not hold the objective continuously, but periods shorter than 10 seconds are not counted.

El Stupido
Sheriff
Sheriff

Re: WIP: Fortress

Post by El Stupido » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:57 pm

I love it. :D

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:48 am

So, here's a very early (but objective-wise working) build of Fortress map (v0.1)! Woo!

What's done:
+ The objective (it actually works!)
+ Core map layout

What's not:
- Lighting (at the moment ambient light is way too high - just for testing purposes) - map will be a little darker than it's now.
- Decorations (at the moment there's pretty much nothing outside and inside the fortress. Eventually there will be added more of hiding places and routes to get over the fence elsewhere rather than two main exits)
- Clipping is in some places a bit sticky and not fluent enough to travel
- Respawn times and objective countdown tweaks (just to make it more fun and challenging to complete)

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Fortress v0.2 is here(Download)!

Image Image

What's done:
+ Added ambient sound effects (wind)
+ Fixed no sound being played on Bandit side (clicks after each successful 10 second flag holds)
+ Added side entrances
+ Optimized some clipping

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:58 pm

Tried v0.3 version tonight! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIkXbokZbaE Thanks for all the old farts who took part in it! :roll:

El Dragon
Retired

Post by El Dragon » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:08 pm

zivs wrote:Tried v0.3 version tonight! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIkXbokZbaE Thanks for all the old farts who took part in it! :roll:
do we have a link to the latest build?

zivs
Super Moderator

Post by zivs » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Will have a next version coming up in following days (tomorrow, after tomorrow maybe?) - have to fix some of the existing problems, before making new ones .. :roll: